Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Either Way




Maybe the sun will shine today

The clouds will blow away
Maybe I won't feel so afraid
I will try to understand
Either way

Maybe you still love me
Maybe you don't
Either you will or you won't
Maybe you just need some time alone
I will try to understand
Everything has its plan
Either way
I'm gonna stay
Right for you

Maybe the sun will shine today
The clouds will roll away
Maybe I won't be so afraid
I will understand everything has its plan
Either way

-
Wilco, "Either Way"

I played this song today and was struck by how adequately it describes my life right now. I originally played it because the sun was shining through some rain clouds (plus I'm on a major Wilco kick right now after I saw them live Friday night - more on that later) and it just seemed appropriate. But as I listened to the words, I realized Jeff Tweedy couldn't be more right.

I've applied to four jobs in the last two days. These four: Raleigh, Austin, Chicago, Portland (OR.) On top of those I've applied to jobs in San Francisco, Washington D.C., and Charlotte. I haven't heard back from anywhere that I've applied to; sure, I didn't think I'd hear back from the jobs I applied to in the last couple of days, but I've applied to three or four things in the last two months, and I haven't heard one single word. Nada. Not even a cordial "No."

I have no idea what my life looks like after June 13, the day I graduate from Ohio University with what more and more seems like a worthless degree in magazine journalism. I might stay in Athens, crash at my parents house. I might move in with my sister in Columbus and find some menial job there. Or I might be adventurous and move somewhere random, then find a menial job there.

Who knows? There are many choices. But you know what? I'm okay with that. "I will try to understand, either way." Because after all, "Everything has its plan."

1 comment:

Mattythecakes said...

this picture is unbelievable...
where can i find hilltops like that??