Monday, October 13, 2008

Red America

I have seen Red America. And it exists in Lima, Ohio.

I went to Katie's hometown this past weekend to enjoy a relaxing weekend away from the craziness of school. It was a great weekend - albeit rushed - celebrating Katie's mom's birthday. Except for the parts when I was incredibly disturbed.

Lima is northwest of Columbus, south of Toledo - Republican country. I knew this, but I guess I didn't really expect to see what I did, especially coming from a town like Athens. McCain-Palin signs outnumbered Obama-Biden signs probably 100 to 1. Some yards had 4 or 5 McCain signs.

Ok, I thought to myself, so they like McCain more than Obama. They have that right (even if I disagree with them.)

But then I saw one of the scariest things I've ever seen before.

At the Christian book store Katie and I stopped at looking for a devotional to do together (turns out there aren't too many of those for pre-married couples), there was a best-seller shelf right at the front door.

And right on top was the biography of Sarah Palin.

Now, I've resisted from talking about politics here, mostly because I get way too hot and bothered when I talk about politics and I'd rather not have to type it all out. I could write a whole manifesto about what is wrong with our country (hmm maybe manifesto is the wrong word...) but I just don't have the time. And I will continue to hold back here - if you want to know my opinion, feel free to call me or visit me and we'll have a chat.

Suffice it to say, I find the McCain-Palin ticket - and for that matter, the Republican party - incredibly terrifying and divisive, and I find even more terrifying the Chrisitian response to it all. The right-wing, Evangelical sentiment right now is, I believe, the opposite of Christ-like.

Jesus Christ did not teach hate. He did not teach divisiveness. He did not teach what is happening right now in our country.

Did Jesus Christ teach the Democratic platform? Well, duh, of course not.

But I believe He would expect more from the United States of America right now.

OK that's all I'll say now, but like I said, I can go on and on if you feel like debatin'. Just message or e-mail or call or whatever.

I'll leave you with a satisfying clip.

1 comment:

paul said...

we live in a bubble.

i refuse to make a public statement about my politics or who I will vote for... but I will say this: I predicted that Obama would win by a landslide. But the more I see "red America" the more I think I might be wrong.