Tuesday, August 19, 2008

(How I) celebrate our world

Upon reading over my last post, I guess I should probably clarify in case someone finds it insensitive...

I'm not trying to say that nobody can worship to 'Christian music.' And I'm not trying to say that I've never worshiped to 'Christian music.' AND I'm not trying to say that 'secular music' is always healthy and worshipful. I'm just saying that I usually find God more often in music that is not necessarily considered 'Christian.' That's just how I roll. I'm not trying to say it's fact that 'secular music' is more worshipful than 'Christian music,' I'm just saying that more often than not I turn to certain 'secular music' to connect me more fully with God.

Here are lyrics to another Sufjan Stevens song - in fact, if someone were to ask me what my favorite song were, I'd say it's this one. It's another song that I can find God in, full of hope and beauty.

"I have called you children, I have called you son.
What is there to answer if I'm the only one?
Morning comes in Paradise, morning comes in light.
Still I must obey, still I must invite.
If there's anything to say,
if there's anything to do,
If there's any other way,
I'll do anything for you.

I was dressed embarrassment.
I was dressed in wine.
If you had a part of me, will you take you're time?
Even if I come back, even if I die
Is there some idea to replace my life?
Like a father to impress;
Like a mother's mourning dress,
If you ever make a mess,
I'll do anything for you

I have called you preacher;
I have called you son.
If you have a father or if you haven't one,
I'll do anything for you.
I did everything for you."

- For the Widows in Paradise, for the Fatherless in Ypsilanti

1 comment:

zoe said...

Growing up with my parents meant that I was not allowed to listen to "secular" music. Ever. All my little ears were flooded with from the time I was born until I was nearly 17 years old was "Christian" music. I had to listen to the pop-christian radio station all of the time, even when I disliked God/did not even believe in him. I think because of this, when I did become a Christian, I found it really hard to worship to the songs that in my mind were trite and overplayed. Sometimes I still connect more with songs like this one, which is probably my favorite song as well.