Tuesday, January 20, 2009

To add some more (Best of 08 redux) pt. 2

Yeah, I realize I only mentioned in the last post one album from '08 that was left off my top 10 list, even though I said there were four. So sue me. I ran out of time.

Anyway, here's one more album from 2008 that deserves to be mentioned on my "best of" list.

Damien Jurado, Caught in the Trees: The Seattle singer-songwriter's eighth full-length is a rather bittersweet affair, considering he wrote and recorded it after splitting with his wife of 13 years, but Jurado has channeled his pain into a 13-track folk-rock beauty, from angry tracks like "Sheets" ("Is he still coming around like an injured bird needing a nest?/A place to rest his head in a song you'll regret/Lord knows I don't want to compete/But I still sleep in the very sheets he's been in"), to the soul-bearing, cello-laden ballad "Everything Trying" ("And I would come back and admit that it wasn't your fault/But I'm tired and unwilling to be the only one who was wrong/And I would sail back to you.") It's a painful record, but through it all you hear Jurado's attempt at moving on, and in that there is something very raw and beautiful. The building piano, cello, and acoustic guitar don't hurt, either.

Check out more here.

No comments: