Thursday, July 31, 2008

Old-timey


Ok, I like to brag about this girl a lot. So sue me.

I mentioned in an earlier post how I've recently begun a foray into photography. The reason for this is that I came into possession of my mom's old Nikkormat camera, from the early seventies (if you're reading this mom, sorry for aging you.) When Katie was in town back in June, we were able to play with the camera and see what it could do.

We got a lot of great shots (on the rolls that worked; unfortunately, I'm still learning how to load the film, and two rolls turned up blank) and a lot of shots that proved I'm no expert photographer. I am, however, learned on the Photoshop, so I managed to save a handful (like the one above; originally really bright, but I restored it to its rightful greatness.)

Anyway, the thing that has struck me the most about playing with a nearly 40-year-old camera is how cool the pictures look. The pictures actually look like they're from the seventies. And to me, that makes them better.

Why do I think this? I don't know. I don't have a super-awesome-modern digital camera, so most pictures I usually take with my digital camera are pretty basic.

But I think there is something about nostalgia that makes things cooler. There's something about that old-timey feel that brings out a joyful sensation, like, 'ah, those were the days.' Sure, you can look at any picture and feel nostalgic for the memories, but when the pictures are older (or look older, in this case), you almost feel transported to a whole new world, a whole new time.

Some random thoughts, maybe it's just me that thinks that; anybody else get that sense?
Oh, and here's another for good measure :)

1 comment:

paul said...

it is amazing what photoshop is doing. Yea... I have always liked the textured look. Somewhat grainy. I also prefer black and white. These are good and I love the bottom one becasue of her expression.