Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Joining a band

This morning I went to the studio to record percussion for The Jarts, who I am now the drummer for. Let me explain...

Chris Pyle has been a musical mentor of mine. Back when I was 15 and we played in Central's worship team together, he would ask me about what kind of music I listened to, and I told him the truth - P.O.D., Linkin Park, etc. I'm not proud of it, but that is indeed what I listened to at the time. He didn't laugh at me or anything, just nodded and listened.

By the time I was a senior in high school, though, I had started exploring my musical tastes, using Radiohead's 'OK Computer' and 'Kid A' as a springboard into a whole new world of good - mostly indie - music. And Chris helped me along the way, making mixes for me of some of his favorite bands, which honestly I would force myself to like because I respected his taste so much. Now I like that stuff for real.

Chris, who owns Donkey Coffee and 3 Elliott Studios here in Athens, has been playing bass in a band for the last year or so called The Jarts. Ever since I saw them play for the first time, about 6 months ago, I knew they were one of the greatest bands in town. Playing folk-rock with cello, they had a lot of talent and great songs, written by lead singer Troy Gregorino.

Two weeks ago Chris approached me at church, saying The Jarts needed a new drummer and would be auditioning potential replacements. He said I was his first choice to fill the role. I've never auditioned for anything before, but I was really excited to have the opportunity to join a band I really respected, especially since Chris was a member.

So Chris made me a mix of four of their songs, and I practiced along to them at church to get a feel for them, while listening to them back home to really familiarize myself with them. I was nervous for the audition - playing another band's music with that band is kind of intimidating - and wanted to make sure I nailed the songs.

A week later the band held practice at 3 Elliott and auditioned myself and I believe one other guy. I went in, introduced myself and talked to the band for a while - really comfortable, they are all so chill and nice - and then headed to the drum set to play the four songs I knew with them.

Man, what an experience, playing the drums for a band I really liked and respected. It was really nerve-racking - even though the drum parts are fairly easy - because they were all paying such close attention to me and what I did; they really wanted the new drummer to mesh both musically and personally. But it felt great, and I left feeling really optimistic about the process.

Through the entire audition, honestly the person I felt most intimated by was Chris. He didn't just let my playing go, he criticized what I did and told me how to fix it. It was kind of scary, because Chris is someone whose opinion I respect very highly. But I know he just wanted me to play as best as I could; he wanted me to show The Jarts what I could do, so he pushed me to do so. And I'm glad he did.

I got the call the morning of Thanksgiving, while at my parents' house. Chris said, "Hey, if you'll have us we'll have you in The Jarts." Wow, what a feeling - the band had chosen me. I don't know how many candidates they ended up having, but they chose me. Chris said that after I had left, the band all agreed that my audition made them feel really good both musically and personally. So they chose me.

Now I'm a member of a band that I once followed. And we're (weird to say we're) recording an album, which is nearly completed. Unfortunately I didn't come in to the band soon enough to be able to record the drum tracks, but I did go in today to do the auxillary percussion. So at least I'll make an appearance on the album, which should come out early next year. Oh, and here's our MySpace, where you can check out some of the tracks.

This is such an exciting time for me. Ever since I first touched a drum set, at the age of 12, I knew I wanted to have a band. But until now, all I had to show for it was Bananarchy, which is fun but not very serious. Now I have that band I always wanted, a band I am proud to tell people I am a member of.

And I have Chris to thank for all of this.

1 comment:

Makella said...

yey!!! congrats sam, Im so excited for you and all of this!!!